Maths is all around us!
Maths is part of our daily lives. Parents can support their child’s learning in Mathematics by enjoying lots of different activities.
Following a Mathematics workshop, the ideas below were compiled by children, parents and staff from Stourfield Infant School. Please use these ideas to enhance your child’s learning in Mathematics.
Maths in Shapes and Measures
- Cooking – measuring and weighing ingredients, shapes of the ingredients
- Recognising shapes in buildings/around the house – 3D and 2D shapes
- Thermometer in car to read temperature (negative numbers)
- Recycling – is it a large or small bin?
- Carry a tape measure around with you!
- Could we fit a dinosaur in our kitchen? In our garden?
- Sorting toys
- Comparison of sizes - biggest and smallest.
- Measuring liquids
- How far can you jump?
- Measuring height and weight.
- What can you do in a minute?
- Planning a journey - how far? How long?
- Car speed
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Making symmetrical models e.g. construction kits
- Playing battleships – coordinates
More to follow!